Was the American Revolution biblical?
There are lots of people who argue that the United States is a Christian nation. But our nation is founded on revolution. The Bible is clear that we are to obey our leaders. How do we reconcile the fact the Revolution was not a Christian act with the assumption of a Christian nation?
Our guest this episode is Dr. Gregg L Frazer, author of The Religious Beliefs of America’s Founders: Reason, Revelation, and Revolution and God Against the Revolution: The Loyalist Clergy’s Case Against the American Revolution.
Special thanks to those who contributed their voices to this episode including Paul Hastings of the Compelled Podcast, Eric Nevins of Halfway There, Angel McCoy of Angel Reads the Bible, and Bonnie Burns from Sex Chat for Christian Wives.
- Live Free or Die image
- Jonathan Mayhew sermon
- Library of Congress article about the importance of religion to the American Revolution
- Romans 13
- 1 Peter 2:13-14
- Galatians 5
- Who was Jonathan Mayhew?
- Were the Founding Fathers Christians?
- Is the US a Christian nation?
- What does the Bible mean when it says we are supposed to obey our leaders?
- Does God back the US?
- What makes a nation Christian?
- The Roman emperor Nero
- King George