Christian Nationalism, QAnon, and conspiracy theories are in most churches. How should we react?
The January 6, 2021 riot at the US Capitol demonstrated the dangers of extreme Christian nationalism. When we allow our ideas about God and His protection to overrun the Bible, we get into serious trouble. Now, many Christians are questioning their faith. Why does the Jesus of the Bible look so different from us and our country?
In this episode, Chris discusses our strange relationship with the United States. We love it when it affirms us, but we don’t know what to do when the US behaves in an evil manner. How do we unify the Church in an era of division?
Helpful Discussion Questions:
- How have you seen the United States tied to Christianity?
- What do you think people mean when they say the US is a Christian nation?
- When have you seen the US behave in a Christian manner?
- When have you seen it wander from Christian principles?
- Do you follow the Jesus of the Sermon on the Mount, or an economic Jesus?
- How can you love people in your local church who believe different things about Jesus than you do?
- You can learn more about the Virginia Law Codes in Rebecca Cox Richardson’s book “How the South Won the Civil War”.
- In the episode, I reference that the US provided rebels in Afghanistan with copies of the Koran and VHS bootlegs of the movie “Rambo”. You can learn about that in Steve Coll’s book, “Ghost Wars” pages 90 and 194-197.
- Learn about John Adam’s day of fasting
- The Treaty of Tripoli
- More about Dalton Trumbo
- “Trumbo” movie trailer